Lemon Surprise Pudding
- 100 g Butter, softened
- ⅔ cup Caster sugar
- 2 Lemons, zest of
- 3 Lemons, juice of
- 4 Irvine’s Eggs, large, separated
- ½ cup Plain flour
- 500 ml Milk
- Place oven rack on second to bottom rung in the oven. Preheat to 180C.
- Using mixer or hand held beater, cream butter with sugar until creamy, white and fluffy. Add lemon zest and juice – the mixture will probably curdle at this point, but don’t worry.
- Beat in the Irvine’s egg yolks, one at a time. Then gently beat in flour and milk, creating a thin mixture.
- In a clean bowl beat Irvine’s egg whites until they stand in soft peaks, and then fold them gently into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into a well-greased 2-litre baking dish. It should be about 6-7cm deep, so that the pudding can separate into a fluffy cake on top with the lemon sauce underneath.
- Stand the pudding in a baking dish of cold water, ensuring that the water comes halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. The sponges will rise and lightly colour on top. If the pudding is browning too much, cover the dish loosely with foil during the last ten minutes.
You may also like