Charity Begins at Home
Irvine’s has always cared about its employees and their families with the workforce increasing from 13 people in 1957 to over 2000 presently. While the majority of the operations on the poultry farms are agricultural with only the Feed Mill and Processing Plant designated agro industrial, all employees enjoy conditions of service stipulated under the agro processing dispensation.
Housing and amenities for staff and workers alike have formed the backbone for the development of the Company in the belief that people living on the site of operations be it the Feed Mill, Workshops, Processing Plant or Layer or Broiler Sections, will be more focussed and diligent if their domestic circumstances are secure. To this end there are 16 dwelling houses for Management, 12 on Derbyshire and six on Lanark Farm. Five roomed worker houses with power, water borne sewage and water reticulation total 352 units clustered in village communities at Derbyshire, Carnock and Lanark with a modern clinics staffed by a State Registered Nurse located adjoining Derbyshire Village and Lanark Village. Both clinics are visited by the Company Doctor Mike Simoyi twice a week for clinic sessions and many an employee recalls how “the Company Doctor” has attended late at night in emergencies.