Lemon & Thyme Roast Chicken
- 1 large Irvine’s Chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tbsps butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out, remove any excess fat and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 11⁄2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with tin foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve.