- 250g plain flour
- 125g butter, cubed
- Water, to bind
- 1 Irvine’s Egg, beaten
- 125g castor sugar
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and both juiced
- 3 Irvine’s Eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup cream
- Mint to garnish and icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub with your fingertips until it forms crumbs. Add 1 tsp water at a time and press together until a ball of dough forms.
- Grease 5 small tartlet tins. Roll out the dough on a clean surface and line the tartlet tins with the pastry. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Prick the pastry with a fork, line with baking paper and dried beans or rice and blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking paper, brush with the egg and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- To make the filling, whisk the caster sugar and lemon zest into the eggs. Stir in the lemon juice, followed by the cream. Pour the mixture into a jug through a sieve.
- Reduce the oven’s temperature to 150ºC. Pour the lemon mixture into cooled tart cases and bake for 20 minutes, or until set.
- Cool to room temperature and dust generously with icing sugar and garnish with fresh mint.